Easy Recipe for Authentic Atol de Semilla de Maranon - Cashew Pudding.Atol de semilla de maranon is simply atole made from roasted cashew nuts. The cashews go wonderfully with the milk and intensify the vanilla flavor. This is my absolute favorite version of atole.
Here's my quick and easy recipe for a hot cashew atole, served as a pudding:
Atol de Semilla de Maranon:
2 cups of roasted cashew nuts
2 cup of water
2 cups of milk
1 cup of granulated, white sugar
3 Tbsp. of cornstarch
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. of ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp.of ground nutmeg
2-3 drops of red food dye
- Puree roasted cashews in blender with the water. If you are pureeing all of them at one, add the entire two cups of water to the blender. If you are blending in two batches, add one cup of water to each batch.
- Empty contents of blender over a fine sieve on top of a bowl so you can remove the chunks and keep only the cashew liquid.
- Re-filter the cashew water by running it through a clean sieve over another bow.
- Transfer milk and sugar to a skillet. You will want to use a nonstick, medium-size skillet for this. Don't use a huge metal skillet because milk will heat too fast and break.
- Turn heat to medium and stir constantly.
- Once milk/sugar mix is hot and giving off an aroma, add in cashew water, vanilla extract, and cinnamon, and continue to stir.
- Transfer 1/4 cup of the hot liquid to small cup and add the 3 Tbsp. of cornstarch and mix until dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch liquid back into the skillet and continue to stir constantly on medium heat. It should be slowly thickening.
- When the mixture is finished, remove from heat and add in two to three drops of red food coloring dye to give it a nice pink color.
- Once the pudding has reached the desired consistency, thicker for puddings and thinner for drinks, pour the hot liquid into pudding bowls, soup bowls, or Styrofoam cups, and serve.
by Atol de Semilla de Maranon.