This is an extremely Salvadoran quequito, or cupcake, because it contains a very common and typical Salvadoran fruit, the guava, known as guayaba in Spanish.
This is a recipe that I invented one day when I found myself with leftover guava juice from a guayaba, agua frescas packet I had used. The guava drink mix is used to create the batter of the cupcake. You can fill these cupcakes with guayaba paste, a mixture of guayaba paste and milhojas cream, or just milhojas cream if you are out of guayaba paste, which was the case today. I have topped these quequitos with a simple whipped cream and some white chocolate mini-kisses. You can use any topping you like, everything goes with these cupcakes, but you will want to use a stiffer cream made of butter or cream cheese if you want to make designs.
Here's my recipe for some delicious quequitos de guayaba:
1.5 cups of sugar
2 cups of flour
6 Tbsps of salted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup guava flavored drink mix, already prepared with water and appropriate amount of sugar (I used Agua Frescas by Klass)
1 tsp. of lemon juice
2 tsp. of baking powder
1/2 tsp. of salt
1 egg white, whipped stiff
Guava paste (I use the La Fey brand)Milhojas cream
Hershey's mini-white chocolate kisses
Red decorating sugar
Whipped Cream or any other topping desired
- Mix butter and sugar together on high until fluffy in one big bowl.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together in another bowl.
- Combine guava drink mix and lemon juice in a new bowl.
- Add all of flour mix and 1 cup and 3 Tbsp. of guava/lemon mix to the butter/sugar mix, adding them alternately while mixing.
- Fold in whipped egg white.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake wrappers in a muffin pan and place the pan in the hot oven for about 15-20 minutes - you want them to be done on the inside and lightly golden on top.
- Remove cupcakes from muffin tin and place them on wracks to cool.
- Once they have cooled, use a pastry piper to pipe filling, cream or guava paste, or both, into the center of the cupcakes.
- Frost with any type of icing you like and decorate according to your fancy!